Wednesday, April 16, 2008

This is what we're missing out on...



Read the article by clicking here

I was always interested in astronomy as a child and remeber my dad telling me how I was missing out on a spectacular view by being raised in the city. Even traveling pretty far out into the country side didn't give me too much of a view. It wasn't until recently that I looked up during a clear sky and saw just how beautiful the night sky is. It's really breathtaking and births tons of thought and awe in the mind. The picture above is from Arizona where light pollution is not allowed...

What is light pollution? It's the accumulation of all the hundreds of thousands of lights in a large metropolitan area and the effect it has on the areas they reside and the areas that surround them. For those local to the MD area, the greatest distinction I've seen is when coming across the bay bridge heading towards Baltimore. You go from the pitch blackness of the eastern shore to the light bulb of the other side of the bridge, its literally night and day. I look forward to traveling to a remote location to see the beauty of the Heavens.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

No comments: